6 Group Classes ($300+)
Prepare your 8-20 week old puppy for a lifetime of interacting with people and dogs in New York City by taking this informative and fun group class.
In addition to teaching basic skills like attention, sit, down and come, these classes address common issues that affect all puppy owners such as house-training, barking, nipping, dog play skills and leash greetings. A maximum of six puppies per class ensures we offer ample personalized attention and that no dog becomes overwhelmed during off-leash playtime.
• For puppies 8-20 weeks old
• Vaccination requirements for this course below
• Prerequisite: Introductory Private Consult OR Group Orientation
• Rolling enrollment – start as soon as your prerequisite is complete; classes may be taken in any order and may be repeated. Classes do sometimes fill up, so we recommend choosing six classes you’d like to attend in advance. You can un-enroll or switch to a different open class without penalty as long as changes are made before the day of the class. If there is a day you would like to attend class but it is a color-unit you’ve already completed, we encourage you to come anyway. Because we rotate exercises, have multiple instructors and also have new students starting all the time, two classes are never the same; because the socialization window is so short for puppies, we feel it is better to not wait too long in between classes. If you complete the six classes purchased initially, you can make up color-units you missed or re-do a color-unit for $50 a class, or three for $120, up until your puppy is 20 weeks old.
Once you have completed a minimum of six classes, you are welcome to take our graduation quiz! Answer a series of true/false questions, and upload a couple homework videos. Once you pass the quiz, you will receive a coupon for a free graduation photo with Ingrid Komisar, a diploma, and a graduation leash sleeve.
CHOOSE FROM ONE OF THE FOLLOWING PUPPY PLANS:
Puppy Kindergarten + Group Orientation ($330)
BASIC: Private Session At Training Center ($420) // Private Session In-Home ($480)
SILVER: Private Sessions At Training Center ($800) // Private Sessions In-Home ($900)
GOLD: Private Sessions In-Home ($1,875)
Each class contains a series of set exercises which vary based on the class “color” (see below) and coverage of a variety of topics and behaviors which are chosen each class by the puppy owners.
• Socialization exercises designed to help puppies learn about the world and teach owners how to properly introduce them to new stimuli.
• Discussions on topics pertinent to puppy owners, and a chance for Q+A on the subject.
• “Basic” behaviors. We teach these with the goal of helping to build a dog’s ability to learn new things, and to hone dog owners’ training skills.
• “Targeting” behaviors. Because we believe that so much of the training we do relates to the idea of touching or “targeting” one thing to another — dog’s nose to a hand, or dog’s rear to the ground — we work one a minimum of such behavior per class.
• Husbandry behaviors. The purpose of teaching these behaviors is to help show how a dog owner’s understanding of classical conditioning and a dog’s ability to target may help make grooming and medical procedures less stressful for puppies and people alike.
• Well-managed intra-puppy playtimes.
• Introduction to various puzzle and work-to-eat toys.
(Please note that the curriculum is subject to change without advance notice)
Toy: Slow food bowls
Behaviors: Nose-to-target touches
Socialization: Strange objects
Toy: Kibble balls
Behaviors: Going into a crate
Socialization: Odd surfaces
Toy: DIY toys
Behaviors: Nose-to-touch screens
Toy: Snuffle mat
Behaviors: Nose-to-hand touches
Husbandry: Cones and muzzles
Toy: Electric dispensers
Behaviors: Paw-to-hand touches
Husbandry: Nail care
Socialization: Weird surfaces
Toy: Puzzle toy
Socialization: Unusual people
We track which puppies are enrolled, and what classes they’ve attended, on our puppy board. Feel free to add your Instagram handle, and your neighborhood. Sharing this information can help you connect with other puppy owners in the class with whom you might be able to connect for playtimes. We also have a puppy group on Facebook for this reason.
We follow the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior’s recommendations on creating positive socialization experiences for puppies before their vaccine series is complete. We require that a puppy has had one round of shots, proof of deworming and that shots have been completed at least seven days prior to first class.
• Download this PDF and either print or email it to your veterinarian.
• Bring the completed form to your first class or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Puppies should not attend if they show signs of illness (when in doubt, give us a call.)
• Puppies are required to be kept up-to-date on vaccines throughout class.
• The space is cleaned daily and disinfected before each puppy class.